Sunday, October 17, 2010

Color and Grammar

So I checked out the website about color. I thought it was very interesting and informative. I enjoyed being able to use the interactive lessons and games to better understand the purpose of each color. I had already learned that certain colors meant certain things like red can mean anger and blue can mean calm. However, it was nice to see a list of other words that are associated with each color. Also, it was interesting to see the positive and negative attributes to each color.

I also enjoyed the article on grammar and composition. As an English major, I have an interest in grammar and how words are put together to form a proper sentence. I thought it was interesting how Bradford Connatser divided our language into two different categories, prescriptive grammar and organic grammar. I can see these differences in everyday life just carrying on conversations with others. I even have a different way of speaking that I know isn't always "grammatically correct."

Connatser mentioned that technical writers have to be aware of the difference between organic and prescriptive grammar. Readers aren't always aware of the prescriptive grammar rules and have a harder time comprehending certain documents. Connatser said that sometimes technical writers use exceptions in their writing to help the reader better understand the information. He said that the way things are said sometimes trumps proper, prescriptive grammar. If the prescriptive grammar will confuse the reader, it should be avoided.

It is hard for me to agree with this. I have taken class after class to learn the proper way of forming sentences and choosing the correct words to use. I don't want to have to abandon these rules because someone else isn't going to understand what I'm writing. I understand that some people might think something is incorrect and that could reflect badly on the writer, but I want to use the correct rules because I know it's right.

No comments:

Post a Comment